Saturday, March 7, 2015

Field Blog 2: Cleveland Heights High School

This week, when we visited Cleveland Heights High School, I focused on how the teacher interacted with her students. I was in Mrs. Bauer-Blazer’s AP Econ classroom. Unfortunately, me and Ross visited on a test day, so we did not get to see her teach a lesson to her students. However, I still observed some interesting aspects of her classroom, and she made it a point to come over and talk to me and Ross. Before she distributed the test and scan tron sheets to her students, she allowed them to ask her questions. From a students’ perspective, I appreciate when any teacher does this because there could be that last piece of information you did not copy down in your notes that is crucial to pass the test. After distributing the test and scan tron sheets, she told them to relax and that they will do well; it is always reassuring to hear the teacher say that before you actually begin the test. As the students made their way through the test, they raised their hands if they had a question about the test, and the teacher approached the student to help him or her.

At one point, when she was speaking with me and Ross, she told us that she got her masters in American History but ended up teaching Econ. She followed that statement up quickly with, “you have to be ready to go with the flow.” This is obviously applicable to me, considering I am just embarking on this journey of becoming a teacher. Ideally, I would like to teach PreK or Kindergarten; however, after hearing what Mrs. Bauer-Blazer said, I realized that I have to be ready and willing to teach a different grade level if need be. Finally, I could not help but notice how lively she decorated her classroom. Hanging in the room were seven different countries’ flags, including the United States’, which added a nice amount of color to the classroom. There was also writing on the window with what I assume to be was window paint of various colors. I am very grateful that we visited Cleveland Heights High School because I will carry what I learned from my observations with me as I continue on with my journey of becoming a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment