Friday, February 13, 2015

Blog Post 5

Rofes’ piece is one of the most controversial pieces that I have read thus far. In terms of his concept of liberalism, he believes that parents and those closely related to the LGBTQ people should protect and stick up for those who identify as being part of that community. For example, if I see a gay man being bullied on campus, I could step in and defend him, and then I would be considered liberal in Rofes’ eyes. I attended an all girls high school, and obviously there were rumors of girls who were lesbians. Sadly, those rumors were never confirmed or denied because the girls who were suspected to be lesbians never came out. Perhaps they decided to not come out because my high school did not have an alliance posing as a safe haven for them. Another reason why they possibly did not come out was because they felt generally uncomfortable and feared rejection from their fellow students. Regardless of the reason, it saddens me that these girls did not officially admit to be lesbians because every student should feel accepted and loved by her fellow peers and teachers.  


Rofes discusses childhood in an interesting manner, considering he believes children are the most oppressed in today’s society. I really faced oppression when I was in grade school and high school. One of the most irrational rules in grade school was the fact that I could not where nail polish, and if you were caught wearing nail polish, the teacher directed you to take it off immediately. To this day, I do not understand the rationalization behind that rule. In high school, girls could not dye their hair drastically, and I actually witnessed someone from administration tell a student to change her hair back to its natural color. I believe a person has the right to identify himself/herself sexually however he/she wants to, and I would treat a member of the LGBTQ community like anyone else. In terms of children, considering I want to be an Early Childhood teacher, I adore children and would treat them with respect and try my hardest not to oppress them in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment