Monday, February 2, 2015

Field Blog 1: Boulevard Elementary

After observing the four classrooms at Boulevard Elementary School, I made two direct correlations with the material we discussed in class. One of the concepts Ayers proposes in chapter two of his comic book is how “labeling students has become an epidemic in our schools- a toxic habit with no known limits” (18). Mrs. Bellini, one of the fourth grade teachers, did not treat her students any differently than students without disabilities. However, I am not saying that Mrs. Bellini was completely insensitive to that fact. In chapter three of his comic book, Ayers stresses the importance of the layout of the classroom. I could not help but notice how the open classrooms allowed for easy maneuverability and discussion between the teachers and their students. The only classroom I visited with four walls and a door was Mrs. Curry’s classroom. Considering her students were reading, I assume this type of classroom works to their advantage because they will not get distracted by the noise coming from the other classrooms, thus allowing them to focus on reading. I appreciated the incorporation of technology in all of the classrooms, an inevitable aspect of this day and age. More specifically, each teacher used a Smart Board in her classroom, and in Mrs. Bellini’s classroom, I noticed each student had a laptop in front of him or her. Thankfully, no major conflicts came up in any of the classrooms I observed in. With all of this being said, I cannot wait to begin my individual hours, and I look forward to the other field trips we will be taking as a class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment